You were injured in a car accident and believe that the other driver was at fault. Colorado is an at-fault state, so you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. The compensation will cover for your medical bills, loss of wages, and other expenses you may have incurred. To maximize your compensation and to get genuine legal advice, you must check for a reliable car accident lawyer near me. In this post, we are sharing an overview of calling an attorney for the first time.
- Get references. What’s the best way to sort attorneys in your area? There are websites like Avvo that can help you find the right lawyers. You can check on Google to find reviews of best-rated law firms in your city. If you can ask around and get references of car accident lawyers that your friends, family members may have worked with, that’s always preferable.
- Ask for an appointment. Most attorneys will be open to listening to your case. They may ask for a few details on the phone, but you will need an appointment. The first meeting with a lawyer doesn’t have to cost anything, and this could be done online (considering the pandemic), or in person.
- Be specific. Ask the lawyer a few things when you meet them for the first time, such as –
- What is your assessment of my case?
- Do I have a valid claim?
- If yes, what can I expect in compensation?
- Will you work on my case directly?
- What is your current case load like?
- Have you handled similar car accident lawsuits?
- What were the outcomes or those cases?
- What are some of your best cases so far?
- How often do you go to trial?
- What is the timeline of the case?
Watch out for red flags
Make sure that you hire an accident lawyer who is honest and transparent. Good lawyers never overpromise. They always take steps to ensure that clients have realistic expectations from their claim. Also, beware of a lawyer who asks for a fee right away. Most car accident lawyers work on a contingency fee, which means that you pay them only when they win. However, it is a wise idea to get an overview of the costs and expenses.
Don’t delay in calling a lawyer for your case, especially because car accidents are inherently complex. Check online now for best-rated lawyers in town.