Hero Liverpool Cabbie Saves Lives After Fire Rips Through Business

A heroic taxi driver has reportedly saved the lives of total strangers after alerting them to a fire ripping through businesses below where they live.

According to the Liverpool Echo, emergency services raced to Walton Road at around 5.15am on 26th March, as a fire ripped through furniture stores. 

A local taxi driver driving past the blaze reportedly called 999 before selflessly trying to wake up those who live above the businesses ablaze.

Merseyside Fire Service stated “all people were safely accounted for” and all dwellers were thankfully evacuated in time. 

Footage from the scene shows the devastating fire burning throughout the buildings this morning, as smoke could be seen billowing down the road. Roof tiles were seen thrown all over the road this morning, as firefighters tirelessly worked at the scene.

Home Decor, a family run business, which has been in the heart of the community for over 15 years, were one of 3 businesses affected. Owners Rebecca Richards, 35 and Stanley Richards, 73, said their business had suffered critical damage.

Co-owner Rebecca said she felt “lucky” in comparison to their neighbours, as they had only suffered flood damage and because of the wind fortunately blowing in the opposite direction, their business didn’t suffer quite as much fire damage as their neighbours.

Book a taxi

Stanley Richards said that it was “important” that everyone knows about the driver’s heroic actions today.

Businesses RKR Products and Walton Bed Centre also suffered damaged during the fire.

Staff at Farmfoods, opposite the furniture store, said they arrived at work at 7am but were not able to open as the buildings opposite were severely ablaze.

Walton Road was closed whilst emergency services were working at the scene, as Farm Foods reopened at 9am. The team from Merseyside Fire Service left the scene just after 11am.

A statement from the fire crew read: “Our Fire crews were called to an incident this morning in Walton Road. Crews were alerted at 5.13am and on scene at 5.18am after reports of smoke coming from the building.

“The fire crews encountered a residential area above the shop premises set ablaze, when they arrived. 6 fire engines and a combined ladder platform were on the scene.

“Neighbouring properties were evacuated.

DS Sam Davies of Merseyside Police stated: “We are in the crucial early stages of the investigation into how the fire was first started. Thankfully, no one was injured during the incident and MFRS extinguished the blaze. However, this incident will have had a significant impact on local residents and businesses too.