Hair loss, also known as alopecia, is a condition in which hair is lost from the head or body. In addition to causing physical changes, hair loss can also lead to emotional distress.
Losing hair can cause feelings of insecurity and low self-esteem. In severe cases, it can even lead to depression. There are several treatments for hair loss but there isn’t one that works for all cases.
If you’re in Singapore, you may want to get personalized treatment here https://www.artisanfueclinic.sg/treatments/artisan-hair-regrowth-treatment. With several years of experience in the field, Dr Wong is one of the top hair loss specialists in Singapore.
The treatment will be determined by the cause of your hair loss. Now, there are many different causes of hair loss, including genetics, illness, stress, and certain medications.
- Genetics: Genetics is one of the most common causes of hair loss. If you have a family history of hair loss, you are more likely to experience it yourself. There are many different genes that contribute to hair loss, and they can be passed down from either parent.
- Illness: One cause of hair loss that is often overlooked is an illness. Both chronic and acute illnesses can lead to hair loss, either as a direct result of the illness or a side effect of treatment. For example, cancer patients may lose their hair due to the chemotherapy drugs used to treat the disease. Similarly, individuals with autoimmune diseases like lupus or psoriasis may experience hair loss as a symptom of the condition. In some cases, hair loss due to illness may be temporary, but in others, it can be permanent. Regardless, it is important to be aware that illness is a potential cause of hair loss so that you can seek the appropriate treatment.
- Stress: Stress can contribute to hair loss in a number of ways. First, it can cause the body to produce higher levels of the hormone cortisol. This hormone can interact with the cells that promote hair growth, causing them to miniaturize and resulting in thinner, weaker hair. In addition, stress can also lead to poor scalp circulation, which can starve hair follicles of the oxygen and nutrients they need to stay healthy. Finally, stress can cause people to engage in unhealthy behaviors, such as excessive dieting or not getting enough sleep, which can also contribute to hair loss. By understanding how stress contributes to hair loss, people can be better equipped to manage their stress levels and minimize their impact on their health.
- Medications: Many medications can cause hair loss as a side effect. This is because they interrupt the normal hair growth cycle. Hair follicles go through a growth phase, a resting phase, and a shedding phase. Medications that cause hair loss can disrupt any or all of these phases. For example, some medications used to treat cancer can prematurely cause the follicles to enter the shedding phase. Other medications may slow down the rate of hair growth, causing the follicles to remain in the resting phase for too long. In either case, the result is less hair on the head. While hair loss from medications is usually temporary, it can be permanent in rare cases.
Table of Contents
Treatment Options for Hair Loss
Owing to how devastating hair loss can be, one of the most common questions people who experience hair loss ask is: Is there a way to regrow my hair? Well, the answer is; yes, there are indeed ways to help regrow hair.
While there is no guarantee that these methods will work for everyone, they can be worth trying if you are concerned about hair loss. The best option for you will depend on the cause of your hair loss and your preferences and goals. Here are some of the most common options to regrow your hair:
There are medications that can be used to treat hair loss. These include minoxidil (Rogaine), Finasteride (Propecia), and Dutasteride (Avodart).
Minoxidil is a topical medication that is applied to the scalp daily. It works by stimulating hair growth and can be used to treat both male and female pattern baldness.
Finasteride is a pill taken daily and is used to treat male pattern baldness. It works by preventing the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is thought to play a role in hair loss.
Dutasteride is similar to Finasteride but is more potent. It is also used to treat male pattern baldness and can be taken as a pill or applied topically to the scalp.
Hair transplants are a surgical procedure in which hair follicles are removed from one area of the scalp and transplanted to another. This can help restore hair growth in areas where the follicles have been damaged or destroyed.
Scalp reduction is a surgical procedure in which the skin on the scalp is removed, and the remaining skin is pulled together. This can help reduce hair loss and make the scalp more comfortable for balding people.
How to Maintain Your Regrown Hair
Once you have regrown your hair, it is important to take steps to protect it and keep it healthy. Here are some tips for maintaining your regrown hair:
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner: It is important that you use a mild shampoo and conditioner when you wash your hair. This will help keep your hair healthy and prevent it from being damaged.
- Avoid using heat: Heat can damage your hair and make it more likely to break. If you must use heat, be sure to use a heat protectant spray before you apply any heat to your hair.
- Be gentle: When you brush your hair, be sure to be gentle. This will help to avoid damaging your hair and causing it to break.
- Avoid tight hairstyles: Tight hairstyles can cause damage to your hair and make it more likely to break. If you must wear a tight hairstyle, be sure to take breaks in between to give your hair a chance to rest.
Losing hair can be devastating, but the good news is that there are ways to regrow your hair. There may be no guarantee that any suggested method will work, but it is certainly worth trying one or more options if you are concerned about hair loss.
If you are experiencing hair loss, talk to your doctor to find out what treatment options are available to you. We offer a variety of hair loss treatments, including hair transplants and scalp reduction surgery. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and see what works for you.
The Artisan FUE Hair Clinic
290 Orchard Rd, Paragon, Medical Centre, #07 01B, 238859
+65 8808 9887