It is very essential to secure your cell phone as otherwise you can become the victim of viruses and cyber-attacks. According to Matthew Davies, 38 percent of cellphone users become victims of cybercrimes. So, before you become a victim of cybercrimes you must implement the methods that can help you to secure your cell phone.
Here are some ways to secure your cell phone:
- Keep your cell phone locked – The first thing that you need to do is to keep your cell phone locked so that no one can access your personal information even if your phone is stolen. It doesn’t matter whether it is a passcode, pattern, fingerprint, or face recognition, you must set a lock on your cell phone to make it more secure and protect your personal information.
- Set a secure password – The next thing that you need to do is to set a secure password on your cell phone. A strong password makes it harder to guess or crack. Whenever you set the password of your mobile, make sure that it is a combination of digits, alphabets, and alphanumeric codes. You can also set a different password for different applications on your mobile so that even if the hacker somehow discovers the password of your mobile, it is still not possible for them to access all the information.
It is also important to encrypt all the data on your cell phone aside from setting the password so that even if your mobile is lost or stolen, your important information will not be at any risk.
- Keep your device up to date – You must always update the application of your mobile if you want to keep it secured. Updating the mobile application will also help you to protect both iOS and Android devices from any kind of threats such as viruses, Trojans, Worms, etc. For updating your device, all you need to do is to go to the settings menu and click on system updates and software updates.
- Always connect to a secure Wi-Fi network- Nowadays, you can access the Internet almost everywhere you go. Generally, it is seen that people use the free Wi-Fi connection available in places like restaurants, railway stations, airports, etc. It is true that free Wi-Fi can help you save your mobile data but you must also be wary about being connected to unsecured networks. It is always advisable to stay away from public Wi-Fi and use virtual private networks or VPN as much as possible.
- Beware of downloads – It is crucial to download apps only from official app stores such as Play Store, App Store, etc. Apart from that, it is also necessary to check the reviews of the app before downloading it. If you want to secure your mobile and do not want to fall on any kind of trap, it is very important to make sure to look at the number of reviews. It is also important to observe when the app was last updated.
Matthew Davies believes that we can stay secure on any network or device as long as we are aware of the various security threats and know the guidelines to avoid these threats. The modern age has made it possible for us to access information at a staggering rate, but it has also made us more vulnerable. So, it is important to always stay secure.